I Politely Disagree Completely

 Continuing with 12 Rods....


So between the first album and the second they lost their drummer and filled in the meantime with a drum machine which lead to this live performance for a Duluth TV station.



Sometime after they picked up Dave King to fill the drum throne. 

Good choice.

That leads us to V2 for some reason eating up their advance money to send them to Hawaii to work with Todd Rundgren to record the follow up.



Separation Anxieties (2000)


Pitchfork fucking hated it.

 

12 Rods hated making it.

 

“All he would do was press the ‘record’ button and go back to doing crossword puzzles,” said Ev Olcott, who, like his brother, wound up producing records for other bands.

“Some of those songs are good, but Todd Rundgren did the absolute worst job possible with that record,” Ryan Olcott sneered. “I would straight-up re-record that record before I’d reissue it.”


And I'm just going to say it outright.

They're both entirely fucking wrong.

I love this fucking album.

There's so many wonderful pop hooks and lyrical twists that it hits me where it counts.

So everyone quit your bitching and pissing and moaning.

Some especially shitty mornings I leave work after a brutal 12 hour shift and "Glad That It's Over" is my theme song.



It's worth reconsideration. I mean, people really fucking hated Weezer's "Pinkerton" too.


I can still listen to this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost