So Much to Go Over

 

So those blueberry corn muffins came out pretty nice. Not as sweet in the end than the batter would have suggested, but tasty as fuck. So I take that as a win.

I also hope that you kids out there in the interwebs have noticed that I've staggered the posts here with the regular flavor SSC so that there's essentially something new every couple days between the two.
I have way too much music...

Which leads us to today.

This is a personal favorite that I have no shame in saying is a personal favorite.

The biggest struggle I've had tonight is figuring out how to split these things up. 

I kind of settled on seven posts.

This is the first.


 
 
This is where the wonderfully named Sean Na Na story starts.
 
This being the first thing released by Sean Tillman following the disillusion of his previous band Calvin Krime.
 
Now where Calvin Krime was more of a punk rock screamo type outfit, the new guise as Sean Na-Na is all about bitter pop songs.  

This debut stab is not necessarily the best thing in the catalog, but lays the groundwork. It's slow and melodic and pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum from Calvin Krime.




It's not really clear whether or not there's a dash  in the "Na Na". 
It changes from record to record.

This split with Mary Lou Lord was where I came in.

For here side, she does a nice job with songs by Janis Martin, Lucinda Williams and as always a song by Nick Saloman (aka: Bevis Frond) which I'm not sure he recorded elsewhere, but I don't really feel like trying to track it down right now.

For their part Sean Na-na deliver big.

"Princess and the Pony" is a fucking great fucking song.
That's all I have to say.

That should have been a thing.

Just watch them tear it up in '06 at the very tail end of Sean Na Na's run.




That's the fucking ticket.

Trust me on this one.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost