An Odd Duck

 

I took some time off from work so it's been a while since I went. In the meantime I flipped my sleep schedule to more align with daytime hours, so I've been working to get myself back to what is my normal overnight sleep routine. It's not easy. 

I'm too old for that shit.

 


Elevator (1998)

 

I have no memory of the existence of this band, but it's a bit out of what I might have sought out at the time. They do have a track on a compilation that intrigued me a bit, so I shelled out my dollar for this.

 I'm not totally sure what to make of it now. 

It has ambitions. It's big and well produced. They've listened to Oasis enough to internalize it. The songs are tuneful, well written and played precisely.

But it doesn't quite fit anywhere.
It's too slick for college rock, but to indie for mainstream rock.
It's a sound that would be great in a medium size venue with a big crowd but would seem more than a little bit overblown in a small club.

So here we are.

And yet, I come back to listen to it and feel an odd ambivalence. There's elements that I really like and other bits that make me roll my eyes a bit.

Still songs like "She's Like Sunday Morning" and "Elevator" are quite good pop songs.

With that in mind, I suppose, it's up to you to decide if you're curious enough to give it try.

Feeling lucky, punk?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost