Breaks, Breakdowns and Teeth

 

The week before last I broke a tooth and the car broke down. 

This week one of my crowns is starting to be more than a little bit sensitive which past experience suggests that I may be looking at another root canal.

Middle age is a fucking joy.



2004 - Lovers & Haters, Unite!


The Bleeding Hickeys. Three women rocking it out with a boy drummer.

They were a flash in the pan in the early 2000s and I find myself coming back to this disc more often than a lot of stuff that I could be listening to at any given moment. It's oddly compelling and I mean that in I can't specifically point to any particular thing about it that sets it apart.

Are they punk rock? Probably by most definitions but heavier on the garage side of it, maybe.

There's some Brix style leads which as a Fall fan is always going to catch my ear, but it's more than that. There's a confident conviction to it. "Cock Taco" from the first single makes a reappearance and is always a fan favorite in my house.

About all that's left online is a Wikipedia list of gigs in which I can't precisely place where I might have seen them, if I did at all. 

I think I did. 

But I might be confused. 

It was a weird time and I was a much more pretentious ass who would have hated them at the time. 

I'm still an ass, but less pretentious about it. (or so I'd like to think)

This is one of those albums that should have made a bigger splash outside the immediate area than it did.

I suggest you get your feet wet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost