Self Sabotage

 

The wonder of working in an ICU during a fucking deadly pandemic is that you spend an awful lot of time paying close attention to how you feel. You sneeze or cough and immediately you're thinking about where can you get tested and mentally making out your Last Will and Testament.

It's fun.

I mean, I'm careful as I can be and wear all my PPE at work and a mask, avoid humanity and don't touch my face otherwise, but it's always there at the back of your mind when you're being slammed with extra sick patients in the ICU.

We're all going to get PTSD....



1999 - Titty Bar Mitzvah


Dander. 

So yeah. The title here is a joke. The cover is a joke.

It's the sort of thing that probably was really hilarious at like three in the morning when you're really tired and punchy.

It makes it seem like the album enclosed is some kind of morning zoo comedy record.

At least that's what I thought it was when I first started coming across it in the Cheapos bins.

But it's not.

It's a very quality "pop punk" (somebody else's description. I just put all my rock and roll in one big jumble.)

I might be a bit biased, but a band I was in played shows with Dander and I went to see them on my own and whether there was fifteen or a hundred people in the room Shane would put on the same show. Bigger than life and more entertaining. Dressed for success.

The "hit" on this record would have to be "Sex" but "The Club" or "Security Guard" are also great tunes for your listening pleasure.

They also managed to sneak a cover of the GoGo's "Vacation" on the end as a "hidden track"

(Live they did a fucking killer version of "Uncontrollable Urge" by Devo too.)


Comments

  1. Hey! I work in a hospital too (but not as a RN or RRT). PTSD, overwhelming grief, and burnout are no joke. Every day is nerve-wracking, and the risks that patients and their families take are maddening. I wish every COVID denier could see an ICU patient, or even be one for a day (proned, intubated, rectal tube, NGT, but no sedation!)

    Blogging has been therapeutic as an escape when it gets too real. Also I got a puppy, which is hands down the best thing that happened this year. I wondered what your night shift gig was. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The irony here is that I go discharged only a couple of days ago from COVID. It's one of the most miserable experiences I've ever had. I have a big pile of new stuff to rip, but no energy. I literally did nothing but sleep today and I'm still negotiating my way through the hospital bureaucracy for a Leave of Absence so I can recover.

      I must have touched my face or something stupid in the middle of my last work week.
      Take care my friend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost