Still Unmotivated and Procrastinating

 

One of the things I've been doing this winter and as part of my recuperation has been stress buying lots and lots of Minnesota based records and Cds. Like ridiculous amounts of things because I can still find them and they're still cheap for the most part. And this is on top of the backlog of other vinyl I've purchased in the last six months and haven't digitized yet which in itself stands between me and processing the existing collection that's been just sitting there forever.

So as it stands there's a huge pile of newly acquired seven inch records piling up in front of the unlistened to 12" that have been there since late Fall.

No wonder I'm so unmotivated. It gets a bit overwhelming looking at the work ahead. Plus regular flavor Swinging Singles is queued up for like six months ahead with gigabytes of post ready stuff in the folder that could keep it going for a couple years already without needing to add anything new.

So anyway.

Here's Balloon Guy's sole major label release on Warner Brothers



1996 - West Coast Shakes


One of the difficulties here is trying to do a quick and nasty google search for interesting links and information and youtube clips for "Balloon Guy" which mostly brings up people making complicated sculptures out of rubber and air.

I did find this very brief contemporary article in Tulsa World

and a little thing about the art design for West Coast Shakes

That's probably good enough. (I also found a dead blog that linked back to my original Balloon Guy post on the other blog. Small fucking internet, man)

The album was recorded locally with the late Ed Ackerson at his studio and while it's a few steps higher in production values than previous efforts still maintains the singular oddness of the band.

Sadly and predictably the album was not exactly a resounding success for Warner Brothers and the band dissolved shortly after.

Main man Matt Olson would go back to what had been his lo-fi solo recording project known as Smattering.

I suppose I should follow up these posts with that.

I wonder if I will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost