Me and my First World Problems

 

My blood sugar is crashing, but what else is new whenever I start queuing up a few posts round these parts. 


I'm also ripping and tagging another dozen Minnesota discs in other windows while I do this.

Here's where the frustration sets in.

There's a few extra steps involved because they're usually not in the database accessed by the software I use to rip the discs. That means that I have to look them up individually on Discogs and do some voodoo to get the proper tags together along with some manual entry and filename changes. On top of that most of the cover scans are not up to my usual standards, so I know there's at least another couple of hours of scans that I'll need to do as well as upload the improvements to Discogs as part of my contribution to things there.

It's all very First World Problems, but I'm cranky tonight and the cat is sitting on the table right by my desk here and trying to stare me into feeding her.


Summer's Eve (2007)


One of the local labels that I've come across in the course of putting this silly exercise together has been the Modern Radio Record Label so per usual, I'm slowly trying to gather up a discography of everything they've released up to my current kind of arbitrary cut off date of 2010.

 The year being chosen so that everything I put up here is going to be assuredly out of print and keeps me from going completely batshit trying to buy up the seemingly endless amount of music that gets released in this midsize Midwestern City every year.
There is a small amount of method to my madness...

Which leads me to His Mischief, the subject of this post.

Their bio on the Modern Radio Record Label says:

His Mischief is a Minnesota rock band. Lead singer & guitar player Sheridan Fox got his start in the local music scene with Effervescent. In 1999 they released a CDEP on Sabertooth records. Sheridan moved out east for college and started a new band, Model Down. They toured the US and put out a CDEP on Modern Radio in 2005. After college Sheridan returned to the Twin Cities and started His Mischief with good friends Jeff Brown and Jeff Quinn. Jeff Brown previously played in Saint Paul bands Grotto, Askeleton and the Hidden Chord, and Jeff Quinn played in Rockethouse. Jeff and Jeff have been in Sean Na Na, The Monarques, Baby Boys and are the occassional backing band for Har Mar Superstar.

I quite like this band.

It's all a bit off kilter pop and indie rock. The hooks are there. The arrangements aren't predictable.
I do not skip their tracks in my car on random play even if they've been played a couple of times before. That's big.
It's weird that I don't seem to have encountered them in the wild. Or at least I have no memory of it. I probably would have liked it back then. I mean, I like it right now too. But I would have back then too. I must have been looking elsewhere during their existence.

Their website seems to be ghost ship at this point. (The tour tab takes you a Myspace page.) So it's probably a safe bet that they're defunct.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost