100 and Other Stupid Nonsense

 

Well kids,

Here we are at the century mark for posts on this highly specialized, but nonetheless supremely interesting and beloved by a handful of anonymous internet users who'll download anything so long as it's not Total Fucking Blood. (which is generally a terrible shame because their music goes "Hurrdurrroarhurr" and everybody needs some of that now and again)

But 100 posts.

That's some crazy bullshit right there.

I was already planning on setting this up this week before I noticed the number, but let's just pretend it's actually some kind of month+ celebratory thing anyway.

(On a side note I will also pass on that after a year I've maxed out the free storage on this Mediafire account. I started another, but I suppose it means that this stuff won't last forever in the aether before I start deleting things to make space for other things. You have been warned.)


Twin Town High Music Yearbook Volume One (1998)


Here we are.
Between 1998 & 2008 the local weekly free paper (now defunct) City Pages put out a yearly compilation disc of local music that they "Picked to Click" or at least that their writers thought deserved a slightly higher turnout than one might otherwise scare up for a Tuesday night show at Big V's or the Turf Club because playing to an audience of the bar staff who just want to go home is pretty disheartening. (Trust me. Been there. Done that. It sucks for all involved)

And to partly celebrate making it to the big 100 posts and because I finally managed to track down the last of these only recently I plan on churning them out in one big month long push which means lots of quality tunes, lots of bands whose only recordings exist on these and I don't have to think too hard for a while.

Twin Town High Music Yearbook tracklist on Discogs.

Some names will be familiar to followers of this and the other blog. Lots of new names. And quite a few highlights that make each one a discovery unto itself if not a full fledged revelation of a thing that you wished you'd heard of a lot sooner.
And as always a metric fuck ton of things that will eventually leak onto this place should I find it in my weary heart to continue.

For this volume my personal highlights are

Ten Ton Bridge - Chuck Miller is a guy who's been churning out great songs for decades across several bands without anybody noticing.

and Tulip Sweet & her Trail of Tears putting on a "Puppet Show" for you. Yeah. That.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost