Starting the Year Off on One Foot or the Other

 I don't know anymore. I'm tired.

I've been baking bread lately. It's easy as fuck and only needs five ingredients (flour, yeast, salt, water and a little sugar to get the yeast started). It also tastes great and having the oven on warms the apartment while making for a really pleasant aroma.

Tonight I took some of the ends and a stale half a loaf and made bread pudding.

I've also been digitizing another host of Lps this week. I started diving back into the Recent Arrivals for seven inches tonight too. Needless to say that as long as no one narcs on me and Google shuts me down I've got a whole fucking shitload of stuff that is on the docket for both blogs.

It also seems like every time I leave the house and hit up a local record store I find something else local that I wasn't aware of on top of the huge list of things I'm still trying to track down.




Eager to Please (1997)

So it's the first post of the year.

It's the kind of thing where for whatever reason you want to start things off with a bang knowing full well that the best laid plans may go to shit eventually but at least it came from an ambitious beginning.

Alas, Entropy is still the most powerful force in the universe.

So after kicking around a few ideas in my head I settled on this. The recorded works and multiple bands based around one guy, Chuck Miller.

Here's the first bleat. Ten Ton Bridge.
Simple, stripped down, straightforward and earnest rock and roll songs.
Nothing wasted. A little melancholic aftertaste.
Just good writing and an acute pop sensibility.

This pretty much sets the mold for everything to follow.
And I have no beef with that. 

I'm a fan.

I have never met the man. I've never seen any of these bands live by the vagaries of chance and opportunity and a general cluelessness of what's going on at any moment now that I don't have a band to call my own anymore.

But these do make it into regular rotation on my phone which is my main listening device these digital days. It's my portable computer and walkman all in one.

So there's that.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost