Cooking and Other Distractions

 I've been getting my lunch stuff together for the coming work week and realized that I should probably refill the queue lest I leave it empty for a period of time. I like to be nothing if not at least reliable.

This one is hard though. There's so much stuff that I have things to say about but lack the ambition to do the typing involved. I'm not big on thinking too deeply lately.

But here we go anyway.

Keep Cats Off Catnip (1998)


Flora for this was I'm pretty sure just the result of John Kuker fucking around in his studio, Seedy Underbelly. He was a beautiful crazy motherfucker and it's reflected in this mess.
I honestly appreciated him and the version of Flora that he eventually formed and played out with was so very entertaining. There was a night when our band played with them and Eta Carinae and had a friendly competition that night with each band throwing down their version of Pat Benetar's "Heartbreaker". Flora owned it with their bass player (and his wife at the time), Amy taking the mike and just killing it.

Those were fun times.

After I got married and we were moving and I was trying to downsize a lot of my shit I sold him my optigan pretty cheap because he was pretty much the only other person I knew at the time who could appreciate and use something so fucked up and weird. (Though I do admit I kind of wish I'd kept it....)

He eventually got divorced and set up another studio in LA and split his time between there and Minneapolis having found some success recording contemporary acts like Mudvayne and other stuff before eventually succumbing to a heart attack in 2015.

The world is a little less interesting without him.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Stuff That Gets Lost